XML Sitemap (Extensible Markup Language)
- 1 XML Sitemap (Extensible Markup Language)
- 2 Benefits of Using XML Sitemap for your website:
- 3 How to create XML sitemap?
- 4 How to submit XML sitemaps in Google Search Consol?
- 5 How to submit an XML sitemaps to Bing webmaster tools?
- 6 How to configure XML sitemaps in Bing Webmaster Tools?
- 7 How to Generate XML sitemap in WordPress?
If you are new to WordPress and had the same questions, then you are at the right place. In this article we will explain what is a XML sitemap, Benefits of Using XML Sitemap for your website, How to create XML sitemaps, How to submit XML sitemaps in Google Search Console, How to submit an XML sitemaps to Bing webmaster tools, How to Generate XML sitemap in WordPress.
XML sitemap are very important for both visitors and search engines because of the role it plays in the online presence of the website. A good XML sitemap shows clearly the goal and the values of the website thereby increasing the overall ranking of the website. The XML sitemap you can add it in webmaster tools such as Google, Bing, Yahoo but this is now accessed by many other things increasing its importance more than we usually think.
The XML sitemap is important for showing your website in a simple way. XML sitemap works subtly by showing all the sections and pages of the website in the hierarchical form. A nicely designed XML sitemap is like a guide map which shows users and the search engines the posts and topics on your website and the way to reach those by just clicking on one link. The XML sitemap is like a document which helps Google and other search engines understand your website clearly. XML Sitemap provides information about the URLs of the website which is ready to be crawled.
XML sitemap helps the search engines by searching all the pages of your website by seeing that they never miss any of the pages when indexing. XML sitemap also makes sure that which pages or links are more important and what is the frequency of the update. XML sitemap also helps in improving the overall ranking by helping the search engines in crawling.
Benefits of Using XML Sitemap for your website:
A sitemap is a map of your website which shows the structure of your website by showing all the sections and the links between them.
- XML sitemap helps get comparatively more visibility and simple navigation by the search engine for your website.
- By XML sitemap you can tell the search engines about the transformation happened on your website in a simple and fast way.
- XML sitemap helps in identifying the broken links or orphan links which cannot be easily identified by other means.
- The XML sitemap is very important for new websites, as it provides the important intensity to the indexing process of the page.
- XML sitemap helps classify the website contents clearly thus helping the user
How to create XML sitemap?
There are many free tools available online with which you can generate your sitemap. After generating a sitemap, you can upload it by visiting your website C-Panel. Some free online XML sitemap generator tools are following:
Steps to create XML sitemap
- First of all, go to the sitemap website xml-sitemaps.com. On this page, you will find the option of generating a sitemap. By the help of this tool, you can make a sitemap of up to 500 pages. If your site has more than 500 pages, and you want to map it then, you will have to purchase a pro version.
- Just enter your website URL to create a sitemap of your website.
- Make sure to keep on the “Page Last Modification” attribute.
- Keep on the automatically calculate “page priority” attribute.
- Check on the “always” of the pages frequency attribute.
- Click on start.
After doing this a new window will open the sitemap generation process. This means that your sitemap is being generated. You have to wait for some time before the process gets complete. After the completion, a new window will open show saying “Your Sitemap is ready!” You will get your sitemap below that message. Click on it.
After generation, you can add by going to the different Search console individually.
How to submit XML sitemaps in Google Search Consol?
After the completion of generating the XML sitemap comes the process of adding the sitemap in different search engines. By following the steps below, you can add it in Google webmaster tools.
First of all, log in the console of the search engine. Here you will find the URL of your webpage, click on it. In the search console dashboard, you will get 3 menus, click on the sitemaps menu which is positioned at last.
Click on the ADD/TEST SITEMAP button.
A new popup window will open, in which it will show your blog URL. Click on the submit button, after writing your sitemap.xml.
See the content, after refreshing the pages. Your sitemap would have submitted after this process. If you are getting a pending message, then it means that it has not been submitted. It takes some time for the completion of this process. Don’t worry if it hasn’t happened instantly. Come back after 1-2 hours and check in the search console.
After the completion of the process, you could be able to see the submissions and indexing of all the pages, posts, categories, tags. Indexing means that Google has started to show your post URLs in the search results. Now, you just have to mention content quality, site SEO and keywords carefully.
How to submit an XML sitemaps to Bing webmaster tools?
First of all, sign in the Bing Webmaster Tools. For signing in, you will need a Microsoft Account. If you do not have a Microsoft account, then create one, it’s free.
After sign in, a dashboard will open like the one seen below.
Click on the Submit A Sitemap option on the right side of the dashboard.
Here you have to just paste the Main URL of the Home page of your website/blog. Write /sitemap.xml after that and then click on the submit button.
After clicking on the submit button, your sitemap will show a pending status in the Bing Webmaster Tools. It takes some time to process the request.
How to configure XML sitemaps in Bing Webmaster Tools?
After the submission process has been done and dusted, you can configure XML sitemap in the Bing webmaster tools. You can do it by following the simple step below.
- Click on the Configure My Site Option in Bing Webmaster Tools. Then click on the Sitemap. The steps are almost same as explained in the sitemap submission.
If you want your sitemap to be submitted quickly to the Bing Webmaster Tools and shown quickly, you can do this by following the step below.
- Click on the Configure My site Option in the Bing Webmaster Tools. After that, Click on the Submit URLs. A box will open, here you have to copy your posts URLs one by one and paste in it. Click on the submit button after doing the process. By doing so, you make sure your posts are seen quickly in the search results of Bing.
Note: It has a limit of submitting URLs to it. You can submit URLs of 50 posts in one month. It has a limit of submitting 10 URLs in 1 day.
How to Generate XML sitemap in WordPress?
If you are a blogger and you are using WordPress to write blogs, then you can generate XML sitemap by following the steps.
First of all, install and activate Yoast plugin from the dashboard of WordPress. This can be done by following the simple steps below.
- On the left side of your dashboard, you will see Yoast SEO icon. Click on the search console icon below.
- Now Yoast will ask for permission to connect to Google search console.
- Click on the “Get Google Authentication Code”.
- A new box will pop up.
- Click on allow.
- Copy the code which will appear.
- Paste the code into the box.
- Click on Authenticate.
Don’t forget to share this useful content with all your friends and loved ones. If you have any questions regarding XML sitemap, then, you can ask us in the comment section. And keep visiting for more blogs like this.